In order to travel overseas and obtain the necessary visas (such as holiday or working visas) you need to ensure that you have all of your official documentation organised.

Below are some examples of important documents you will need to have on hand when travelling. Some of these may also need to be attested in order to be used for any official purpose such as applying for work or securing a rental property.

  • Degrees
  • Diplomas
  • High School Certificates
  • Passports
  • Birth Certificates
  • Marriage Certificates
  • Name Change Certificates
  • Citizenship Certificates
  • Divorce & Custody Orders
  • National Police Certificates

Keep originals with you and be sure to leave copies with a friend or family member in Australia in case you misplace them overseas. You should also ensure that you have the necessary work visas or permits before you depart Australia. Immigration authorities may refuse entry if they assess that documents you carry indicate you may violate local visa conditions. If in doubt, check with the foreign mission of the country you’re planning to work in prior to your departure. [1]

Some countries may require your original documents to be translated or attestated for official use. You need to confirm any requirements for your documents before you leave Australia by contacting the embassy of the country you wish to travel to.

We advise that you undertake all document attestation – meaning, notarisation of copies, Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) authentication and relevant foreign embassy legalisation, prior to departing Australia.

AND REMEMBER: Make sure you register your intent to travel with DFAT to make it easier for them to contact you in an emergency.

Need help? Authentifier is an innovative online Australian document attestation service. We are on hand 24/7 to provide low fixed fee attestation services.

Check out our packages HERE and contact us for more information on how we can help you.


Get a free quote online in 2 minutes

Getting the process underway as soon as you need it, is our priority. Answer some quick questions and we'll provide you with an instant quote and explain the process.

We are an innovative online one-stop shop for the legalisation of all Australian documents, e.g. degrees, birth certificates, National Police certificates, for official use overseas, especially in China and the United Arab Emirates. For a Fixed Fee Service with 24/7 Availability call 1300 349 333 or email [email protected]


  1300 349 333

  [email protected]

  Suite 1A, Level 2, 802 Pacific Highway, Gordon NSW 2072

1300 Fixed Fee